Our assignment was to tell a compelling story by making a slideshow with voice-over. I asked several people to participate in the project but each one turned me down. So here is my own little story.
I cheated by using old photos. But hey: I learned a lot about making “movies” and recording sound and all that jazz. So I’m psyched. Not sure my teacher will give me an A, but I’m giving myself an A!
And here’s a composite from yesterday’s two experiments:
Well, this is my first attempt, but I’m pretty psyched!
And my favorite:
When Maddie and I went to Colorado and New Mexico to check out grad schools, we took a lot of pictures. The one I took of her photographing a landscape had a very neutral, washed out background. I decided to try and overlay it with a landscape she MIGHT have been photographing.
After using the levels tool to whiten the background behind Maddie even more, I multiplied it with the sky layer. Then Maddie needed a layer mask so I could erase the scene from her body and camera.
It still needs a little work. I seem to have left a bit of a halo around Maddie’s head, and there’s a void on the edge of the photo… Looks like there might still be a little landscape on her arms and shoulder, too… Fun technique, though!
This idea has been rattling around in the back of my head for a long time: to overlay a picture of my daughter with a picture of me, or a picture of my mother with a picture of me – to show family resemblance.
I had already messed around with the picture of mom – originally part of a group shot. I practiced with selection and refine edge in Photoshop to remove the background and place her in front of some blurred out beach grass.
The other day, I was going through my pictures looking for stuff to experiment with and I found a selfy in which I am facing the camera at approximately the same angle as mom. It wasn’t the same size, nor was it exactly the right angle, but I thought I’d give it a go.
I used Edit->Transform->Rotate, Scale, and Skew to get my face to line up over mom’s. I messed around with opacity until it seemed about right, then took it over to Nik Silver Efex Pro for some finishing.
In some of the experiments I got rid of the hard edges of my portrait, but in the end, I liked it with the edges best… sort of a frame within a frame.